Thursday, April 27, 2017

The Battle of the Tail Ends

While waiting for the coffee machine to warm up this afternoon, I happened to glance out the kitchen window and witnessed what turned out to be a rather interesting battle for the two bread crusts I had thrown out onto the lawn after lunch.


Typically I don't worry too much about the wholewheat frisbees (yes they take a wonderfully graceful flight if you flick your wrist just right) as they are grabbed by squirrels and whisked up the pine trees before I can blink.  Today was a little different.

Nibble and shove
There was a slight movement at the edge of the lawn where  one crust had landed and I could make out a chipmunk greedily nibbling away at the one side, while the other crust lay on the lawn out in the open. I watched as the chipmunk tore pieces off with his front teeth and shoved them into his cheeks. In a flash he was up and away, scuttling over the bed of withered pine needles and under a bush, reappearing on the other side of the bush before disappearing behind the large pine tree.  A few long seconds later, he appeared from behind the tree and followed the same path back to the "tail end". Nibbling and shoving continued.

I could see his cheeks just bursting from the bread but needed a better view. This was too good to not get my binoculars and camera from my desk so I sneaked back quietly.  I have to sneak around as the dogs bark and jump up and down when I get excited and look out the window as I'm usually very excited about a bird I just spotted.

Shove as much as you can into the left cheek

Then shove some more into the right cheek
Arriving back at my viewing point I spotted a squirrel in the middle of the lawn with the other end in its mouth. I watched both "fluffies" quietly and enjoyed the various ways they enjoyed their afternoon tea.  While the chipmunk was all about shoving in as much as he could before dashing off to disgorge the contents most likely into the waiting mouths of his family behind the pine tree, the squirrel quietly held the slice in his paws and gently nibbled the top and sides of the crust where the seeds had been.  He then slowly moved inwards towards the softness. Bite by gentle bite. Clearly in no rush.
I prefer my crusts "on" thanks

While the chipmunk was on one of his disgorging trips, a rather large squirrel arrived at the table. He looked around and then made a beeline for the open lawn and came up behind the already-dining squirrel. The peace of his afternoon nibble shattered, he grabbed his piece and made a mad dash for the trees.  After a short chase, the original squirrel clambered up a tree and the bully looked for an easier target.

The Bully enjoying his prize

During the chase, the chipmunk had sneaked back to his slice and another mouthful was on the way to the nest.  The bully heard him, spun around and gave chase.  About halfway to the chipmunk's pine tree, the squirrel stopped in his tracks and held his head up, sniffing the air.  He focused on a spot where the chipmunk had paused and dove head-first into the bed of needles coming up with a prize.  He appeared quite pleased with himself perched on a stick as he nibbled on his stolen bread.  A third squirrel arrived at the left over end and tackled it with glee. The chipmunk went home to rest and let his tea digest.


No comments:

Post a Comment